Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Parents are always to blame

I am currently re-reading Coming out Asperger: Diagnosis, Disclosure and Self-Confidence. Liane Holliday Wiley has the first chapter, which centers around telling or not telling someone you're an aspie.

A few pages into the chapter, she discuss how you can build an aspie person's self-confidence, and admits to being a little overprotective of her own kids. Instead of doing what she did, she propose a few ideas on how to make children aware of their own potential, that they are capable human beings, from a young age. Some of these are early on to let the child help decide what the family should eat, let the child pick out its own bed covers, try things the AS might prove difficult (for some, dance), and such. All in all she has ideas on how aspies can be well-prepared for the real world with the help of their parents.

My parents never knew I am aspie, and thus I was brougt up like a NT-kid, more or less at least, as you'd imagine. This included that I was expected to be able to do everything my sister did, and maybe even more, as I was the youngest. From an early age, I sliced bread and fed myself. I was early able to dress myself. 7 years old, I came home from school at noon, made two hot dogs (with boiling water) and looked after myself till they came home later in the afternoon.

Them not knowing (although they might have suspected something) has made me the person I am today. I can blame them for all kinds of shit that has gone wrong in my life, but instead of that, I'd like the readers of this post to know that sometimes bringing a child up like any other (presuming you don't know something's "off, etc), is a good thing. I consider myself to be "high-functioning", for the most part at least, and I owe that to my parents expectance that I am able to look after and care for myself.

1 comment:

Heavenly Flower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.