Sunday, March 30, 2008

The chameleon

Another trip to the university library bore fruits. I came home with a bag full of book on autism that I haven't seen there before. They're very popular, it seems.

One in th batch is Donna William's Autism - An inside-out approach. I haven't gotten very much beyond the foreword, yet, but I do hope I'll enjoy it. I particularly want to bring up a paragraph that reminds me so of myself:

By my teenage years, I began to be too aware of the feeling of being alien. Unable to have even consistently shared true self-expression or real emotion with anyone, I grasped the absolutely emptiness of what the world held for me. My answer to this was to follow and mimic anybody who would take me along for the ride and to move through life as fast as possible do I didn't ave to stop to feel how bad and out of control it all felt. (Williams , 1996: 3, own emphasis)

As I've already mentioned, this hit close to home for me. Growing up, I was a chameleon of sorts. My AS "stopped" me from developing my own sense of being and I was continuously mimicking other people's meanings, sense of fashion and way to express themselves. I believe this is called social echolalia (which is also such a great word to say out loud!). It's not that I don't have my own personality, it's just that I have a tendency to take after whoever I'm around. I still do this. And I don't know how to not do it.

The problem with this is that I don't know how to really be me, because I cannot stop this form of behavior. The other problem is that there are stock phrases and expressions that are so 'alien' to me that I don't know how to use them, and thus, I am often perceived as impolite. The mere thought of saying hello when you meet someone on the street is uncomfortable, and I'd rather not be in a situation where I have to compliment anyone; I don't know how to best do it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The chameleon analogy is spot on. I've picked up various social mannerisms by mimicking others.

Anonymous said...

Kinda like echololia?

Margrethe said...

Yes, which I mentioned. Only, it's spelled echolalia

Adding a link :)

Anonymous said...

That's okay, I did the complete opposite and just didn't have any social identity whatsoever. The ultimate outcast.

But in order that I could get by without getting beat up or constantly harassed, I would try and make nice with most people . . . doing essentially the same thing behaviorally, but not physically.

Have you read Bogdashina's book? "Theory of Mind and the Triad of Perspectives on Autism and Asperger's Syndrome."

It's really good. She really seems to know the community, because she includes a lot of the pertinent characters.

Margrethe said...

No, I haven't, but I thank you for the tip and will add it to my Amazon Wish List :)

Khat said...

Greetings! I just ran across your blog - my oldest son is an Aspie! He's ten so far, and your blog has REALLY helped me to understand a little more about his perspective. It's tough for him to verbalize what he's thinking and feeling, and I'll be blogging about things I see and hear about regarding his actions.

He's an amazing person as I'm sure you are, too, and bravo for you finding out about yourself! That's really hard work. Keep it up!

Margrethe said...

Thank you so much for the compliment. I'll be adding your blog to my RSS-feeder.