Wednesday, February 20, 2008

There's no way to tell, but there are many of us

I met/saw/spent time with an Aspie for the first time in my life yesterday. Well, it's the first time I've known the person has Asperger's.

The girl who managed to "connect the dots" some time back has invited me to join her for scrapping. I'm still a newbie - only started 3 weeks ago, but enjoying it so far. Only drawback is that I sometimes feel like she's my social worker or something. Hope I'm not too clingy and that she doesn't see me as a burden. Either way, she invited me to come over yesterday and I accepted. Had to pop back home to get my stuff, and as I did so, she texted me and asked if I wanted to join them (she and her fiancé), but without specifying who "them" were - I just concluded it would be the two of them.

After I messaged her on FaceBook with my "confession" she mentioned that her fiancé's brother has AS. I know that he has two brothers, but didn't know which one it was. When I got there, his younger brother was visiting and there was no need to tell me that he's the one. I'm not sure how old he is, but he looked like he'd be 13-14 or so. Quiet, kinda withdrawn and very focused on his video games. We had a pleasant enough time, and he came over once in a while as we scrapped as he got bored with the football match that was on TV.

So, where am I going with this? Nowhere for now. I just thought I'd tell. I'll be writing another entry (soon, I hope) about how you can't always tell if someone has AS (or any other condition), hence the title.

No comments: