Thursday, July 31, 2008

Coincidental books

After trying to find something to read earlier this summer, I stumbled across Anne Rice's The Witching Hour in our double-stacked bookshelves. Judging from the name and date written on the inside of the cover, it's been 4 or 7 years since I last read it, all depending on how you interpret my writing. Either way, I was glad to find the book. I remember liking it, and the rest of the Mayfair Chronicles "back then", and thought it'd be nice to read it again.

Reading is a slow process for me these days. I struggle a lot with my concentration. The book is slowly dragging along and I haven't made it as far as I used to, where a book of this size would be devoured in a day or so. But, at the same time, I've kept back, because although I've searched, I haven't been able to find the second book of the series, Lasher. A search on Amazon hasn't allowed me to track down the second book with the design matching that of the first, and last, book.

On Monday we went to town to run a couple of errands, and dropped by what once was a roleplaying/manga/anime store, though during the last couple of years, it's degenerated into an overprices comics and DVD-store. Imagine my joy when I found what I thought was the second book, the one I'm missing, stacked away amongst books from another series, only to come home and realize we've bought another "third book".

Going back today to exchange it for the proper book, I was fairly disappointed that they didn't have it in stock. They have taken my order to have it shipped from one of the other stores, if they have it, or from the US, which will take 3-5 weeks. Now that I think about it, I should just ask them to delete the order, as it will be faster for me to just get it from Amazon myself - either way it won't be the same cover design.

Trying to exchange the book, we're told we can't get out money back (this has been a problem with the store from day one, and it's not a common thing in Norway - to be honest, I doubt it's within the laws of purchase), but that we can either get a gift certificate to present when the book is back in stock, or we can exchange it for something else. Roaming through the shelves, I find a book that's been on my Amazon wish list for a few weeks, The Speed of Dark, so I happily purchase that instead.

Amazon.com says:
"Corporate life in early 21st-century America is even more ruthless than it was at the turn of the millennium. Lou Arrendale, well compensated for his remarkable pattern-recognition skills, enjoys his job and expects never to lose it. But he has a new boss, a man who thinks Lou and the others in his building are a liability. Lou and his coworkers are autistic. And the new boss is going to fire Lou and all his coworkers--unless they agree to undergo an experimental new procedure to "cure" them.

In The Speed of Dark, Elizabeth Moon has created a powerful, complex, and believable portrayal of a man who varies radically from what is defined as "normal." The author insightfully explores the nature of "normality," identity, choice, responsibility, free will, illness and health, and good and evil."

Husband found a book of his liking, as well.

1 comment:

CS McClellan/Catana said...

I just ordered The Speed of Dark from Amazon. My SF collection centers around people with different kinds of minds, and this one sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip.