Thursday, July 10, 2008

Asperger's Syndrome in Adults - link

I know I keep sharing links with you all, but I happen to stumble upon several good sites or blogs these days. I hope you don't mind.

This has been lying in my RSS-feeder for some time now. My initial thoughts were to comment some of the stuff it mentions, like - symptoms in adults. But, I assume such an entry would be me repeating my symptoms, and I don't think that is necessary?

However, I do find it refreshing when someone writes about autism in adults, and I'm glad someone does it. It's hard finding good information on that subject, and even more so on autistic women.

2 comments:

CS McClellan/Catana said...

I wish I could be as approving of that post, but it relies so heavily on overgeneralizations and stereotypes that I think a lot of aspies would find it somewhat offensive. To be fair, though, a full understanding of Asperger's in adults is still in development, and not enough of us have come out yet to show that the official diagnostic signs are oversimplified and not necessarily typical. And judging from the archives, the writer was still in the process of learning about it. The best information about the extreme variability in adult Asperger's is on various forums such as Wrong Planet, Aspies for Freedom, and the foum on Live journal.

Frøken Strøken said...

You are indeed completely right - it is generalized and stereotypical, but, IMO, creating an understanding that autism will not magically disappear the moment the child turns 18 is good. It should also be focused more on the fact that autistic adults will most likely have been mainstreamed, and some could very well pass for NT and not be suspected of being on the spectrum. Creating information isn't done overnight, and although this entry is not perfect, at least it's doing something - it could reach out to those who might not have heard about this.

You are also right that there is more accurate information to be found, this could be the first a person reads on the subject. It might just spark an interest as the reader have seen this things in herself or someone she knows, and then go looking for more. This was the sort of thing I first read - although big, the LJ-community, WP and AFF is not "known". You have to start somewhere.