Sunday, April 13, 2008

A whole new way

Lately I've been so social I find myself more and more exhausted. It's resulting in problems with the phone. I struggle to answer the phone on the best of days; I can talk on the phone with my husband (who's currently in another country) and some acquaintances (however, I don't like it).

It's turning into a problem because I have had several calls towards the end of the week from people at the student paper I work at. I know they're calling to ask me to step in last minute for some photography, but I've been unable to face not only the call, but them as well; if I had picked up I'd have to make up an excuse for not taking the job.

The question now is how to fix it? I have let it be known that I'm not too keen on phones right from the start, but I don't expect people to remember that. If I'm contacted over e-mail or text message, it's no problem, but... I'm not. I'm debating whether or not to tell about my social anxiety and/or Asperger's. I could say that I don't do phones but people always want a reason why.

5 comments:

Genevieve Hinson said...

Hey thanks so much for participating in blogging for autism awareness. My apologies for the delayed linking to your site.

You are added to the blogroll now (I doubled checked!)

Thanks again!

Genevieve

Margrethe said...

No worries :) Glad I'm included.

simonbear7 said...

I also hate phones,except for a few people like my daughter(who is usually ringing me about what my grandson has done-he's 8 months).I can empathise with your preference, I guess the best way I can think of is to let it go to an answering machine with a message that you can't get to the phone right now but if they want to get important information to you, to text or email it to you and you'll attend to it as soon as possible. If you keep doing that and not answering when the phone rings, people will eventually get the message.
Take care
Simon

NoJo said...

what is an RSS fed? thanks for adding me (it sounds like a good thing at any rate)

My kids and I are Aspies. I just often don't answer the phone and just check my messages and call people back if I feel like it.

I get really tired from social stuff. sometimes sleeping most the next day.

NoJo said...

Just stopping by to say HI.