Friday, April 25, 2008

Intelligence - what ever that is.

Wow! Almost two weeks without a single post! Even though this blog is for myself and my own "exploration" of being Asperger, I hope someone's missed me and/or my posts.

Either way... Lately I've seen the subject of intelligence pop up on different message boards dealing with Asperger's. Now, I know scientists like Atwood says that Aspergers have "no delay in cognitive development" and "normal to above normal" intelligence (if I remember correctly, an IQ of 70 or less would indicate that you are "mentally challenged" or whatever the political correct word today is).

However, what I've noticed is that whenever this comes up in debates, be it on how you scored on tests during assessment or other times your IQ was measured, the Aspies reveal themselves to be one of the "above normal".

I'm not trying to say that they're lying, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only "dumb" Aspie out there. I've never had an intelligence test, but I doubt I'd score all that high. While we're being truthful here, I'm scared of having one because I dread the potential outcome. To be completely honest, I feel dumb. Thick. Stupid. And such words. I've never been good at math or exhibited other stereotypical intelligent-Aspie traits. I'm not gifted in any way. And the things I'm "good" at, well, I'm not really good at them. Not like other Aspies describe themselves to be.

I'm not going anywhere with this, I just have to get this out.

6 comments:

CS McClellan/Catana said...

There aren't too many people who will admit to being of just average intelligence. I also suspect that much of the emphasis by aspies on their intelligence is to compensate for being aspie. It's a defense against the aspie=autism=mentally challenged stereotype.

From your writing skill and the way you approach your subjects I'd say you're above average in intelligence. Being good at math as a requirement for either high intelligence or Asperger's is just a myth you can flush.

NoJo said...

Many people who score high on the IQ tests are onlymediocre in school. I all but fluncked math and history. I got As in Science and English- but Bs or Cs in everything else. Yet- my IQ tests indicates "gifted". So. having an IQ that idicates gifted, did really do me an ounce of good. It didn't mean I was an A student or anyhting like that!

But IQ tests aren't really any good in the read world. They don't measure how MUCH you know, but your brain's ability to learn and problem solve.

And I missed you. I came here a few time looking to see what was new.

Anonymous said...

Me on another aspie forum:

"I recently did an IQ test, and only got 121 :("

... guess that might have been abit offensive, I just envied all the others who said they had IQs around 135.

AGSoccerMom said...

Everyone has a gift. You are actually my gift. I can't get my 14yr son to talk, maybe because he is a guy maybe not. You are gifting us knowledge and insight into Aspergers that we couldn't get any other way. Thank you.

Margrethe said...

Thank you. It means a lot.

Shortysmum said...

um my six year old sat a test today and the psychologist said he had a better score than he would have and that my son was smarter than the both of us put together, I know he's got a brilliant memory and I was actually pleased cause at least he wont have to worry too much about that side of school and we can focus on talking to peers which he is uncomfortable with. I have been told this is more hopefull cause the more intelligent aspergers seem to learn coping and social skills easier. We've always known something was different and now things fall more into place and we are dealing with things productively instead of fighting what we used to consider very bad behaviour. Things are improving so lets hope they carry on that way